SC - Deerhide help (kinda-sorta on topic)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:38:30 PST 2000

Greetings unto the list!

By a stroke of good fortune, a friend of mine bagged a 120-pound buck this
weekend.  He is making me a present of the hide, as is, no curing or
treatment. He plans to skin the buck tonight, and I'm at somewhat of a loss.
  Are there any steps that should be taken immediately after the hide is
removed (e.g. packing in salt, scraping, etc)?  What price can I expect to
pay a taxidermist to tan the hide for me?  What other inedible parts of the
deer can be used, assuming that my friend wants to keep the antlers as a
trophy?  More specifically, which bones can be used for buttons or other
jewelry, and how should they be treated?

(Oligatory food content) Are there any tasty bits that I should ask for,
aside from the usual roasts and steaks? (I'm going to try to talk him out of
the shanks.)

Please let me know, either privately or on the list.

In service,

Vicente
(venison osso buco... drool, slurp)