SC - pork sauces/glazes

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 11:25:56 PST 2000

Any other sauces that anyone would recommend with
pork? We'll be
>roasting it with garlic and not much else - it was
scrumptious last
>year

I really like fruit with Pork. An apple sauce/cinnamon
glaze type thing, or an orange/ginger glaze. I dont
have an actual recipe, because alot of it depends on
how sweet your fruit is.
 Start with the fruit, or fruit juice, add a honey or
brown sugar, the spices you like, I usually add a
little vinegar or mustard too so it isn't TOO sweet,
and dont forget the salt. But add it last after it's
simmered awhile. If you add it too early, your end
result can get way too salty. YOu can cook this down
to what ever consistency you want, depending on
whether you want to use it as a sauce or a glaze that
you actually put on the meat the last 20-30 minutes of
cooking.
 I do a pineapple mustard glaze for ham at Christmas
too, same idea, you can use most fruits, I've used
apricots, peaches, (either using dried fruit, or in a
pinch baby food fruit purees, butthat gets expensive
pretty quick)but have fun with it. I'm not sure how
period my glazes are, I've never tried to do it for a
feast. But from what I understand, except for using
pineapple, the Europeans had most of the stuff I use
for the glazes. I hope you can find one that you like,
and I hope I've been at least a little help.
Nisha