Sausages (was SC - Feast Report)

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Nov 19 16:31:39 PST 2000

>The sausages in the first course won't be from a "period" recipe, as
>i don't have the equipment, time, or experience to make sausages for
>100 people - although at least sausages are period and i won't get
>any of the nouveau types. Any recommendations which kinds available
>today are "more Medieval"?

At a Coronet event I cooked for last November, I actually tried out several
sausage recipes by placing appropriate amounts of spices (carefully measured
with a fine set of scales) and mixed with enough sausage meat to make 3-4
patties.

When we had selected the tastiest recipes, I handed 3 bags of spices
(dramatically scaled up) to a sausage maker and said: 1st bag into 10Kg of Beef
sausages, 2nd Bag into 10kg Pork sausages, etc.  Worked fantastically and cost
me almost the same as if I was buy normal ones.

2 things to watch: 	1) Don't add salt to your spice mix as their sausage
			   meat will already have salt (unless the saltiness is
			   to be a property of the sausage)
			2) They will look like modern sausages because of the
			   shape and skins.

Cheers,

Drake.