SC - Deer me

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 20 21:24:02 PST 2000

Akim Yaroslavich said:
>  There are
> a few oddiments though, that I have never gotten around to
> actually cooking.  Any recipes or advice would be appreciated.
> Is spleen cooked just like liver?
> What is the best way to cook fries (testicles)?
> Any suggestions for preparing kidneys?
> Tongue?

>From the organ-meats-msg file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
> I enjoy the "Red Deer Testicles in Hunting Season" from Taillevent. We do
> it with the "oysters" from chicken backs, and I've been meaning to try it
> with real testicles, just to be able to compare texture, etc.
>
> Its a spicy and piquant broth that offsets the meat bits rather nicely. Try
> it!
> - --AM

from "Pleyn Delit":
kidneys:
> Noumbles
>
> Take noumbles of Deer oper or oper beest...

There are various other recipes in this file for cooking various other
inards. Some are for deer, some for other animals, but many will probably
work for pieces of deer.

There is also this file:
venison-msg       (45K)  7/26/00    Medieval and modern recipes for venison.

Akim, you live in an area of plenty. First quince and now venison!
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net