SC - OOP pie crust question

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Nov 21 05:20:43 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Nov 00, , that Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> Contemplating Thanksgiving pies and was wondering if someone has an
> explanation for why several of the modern piecrust recipes I've
> accumulated call for small amounts of vinegar (one says vinegar or lemon
> juice).  I have two versions of this, and I think the other unusual thing
> they both call for is an egg, so maybe that has something to do with it???

I believe I've read that acids interfere with gluten formation and
therefore make the crusts more tender.  There are some late period
recipes that call for white wine and egg in pastry dough.

No doubt Bear can tell you much more about this.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net