SC - OT - Celtic Church

Tue Nov 21 08:03:09 PST 2000

According to Gildas, Christianity came to the Isles with Joseph of Aramithea
in the last year of Tiberius' reign (approx. 37 CE), although the Celtic
Church doesn't appear to come into existence until the 2nd Century.  It is
very possible that the Celtic Church is an off-shoot of Orthodoxy via the
Galatians, the Eastern-most of the Celtic peoples in 1st Century CE.

Patrick may have been sent to Ravenna, because he was already of the
Orthodox branch of Christianity and at the time the schism between the
Eastern and Western Churches was just beginning.  The formal split is in
1054 when Pope Leo IX excommunicates the patriarch of Constantinople,
Michael Cerularius.

If we want to continue this discussion, we should probably take it off list,
as it is moving far afield from cooking.

Bear