SC - Thoughts on Black Turkey

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 21 12:47:41 PST 2000

Hullo, the list!

I vaguely recall seeing a reference on this list to a dish called Black
Turkey, with a URL posted alongside it for a page purporting to contain
a recipe.

While there was nothing really outstanding that I can point to as being
suspicious-looking, it occurs to me that some late-20th-century/early
21st century Americans might not know who Robert Benchley was, and the
text, it seems to be claimed, was either written by, or told to, Robert
Benchley. Benchley was a member of the famous Algonquin Round Table, a
humorist, and pretty obviously a drinker of some repute. His style,
reminiscent of writers like Stephen Leacock, Ring Lardner, S.J.
Perelman, and later, H. Allen Smith, was of a distinctly wise-guy school.

It is conceivable that Benchley may have perpetrated an early
communications hoax along the lines of the Internet-based Urban Legend,
but without actually cooking the dish it's hard to tell. I would say the
mention of his name makes it all seem rather suspicious.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com