SC - "Commander Charming" ( Was Passage East III - Part 1)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 03:49:18 PST 2000

Strangely enough, to throw out another side to all of this, I had no problems
whatsoever with "Sarge" aka "Commander Charming". We talked on the loading
dock of the post the night before the event, while I waited for the steak
dinners I'd bought for my Lady and I (They were having some kind of fund
raiser or something, and were grilling steaks to order outside). Yes, he was
rough and somewhat gruff, but I found him to be pretty amusing. Like the King
in the Lion in Winter, I think he just wanted to show he could roar.

He HAD tried to double the price of the hall early on and I'd told the
autocrat to stand firm on the original deal. He eventually said she was the
most obstinate young woman he'd ever known. When she told me that I told her
she'd made an old curmudgeon (in this case me) VERY proud.

Then again, I adopt protective coloration when I'm among strangers... I was a
good naturedly foul-mouthed as the best of the old soldiers that night <EG>.
I also have a decade at least on either of the autocrats and the majority of
the people doing set up. For whatever reason, I didn't have many problems
with Sarge. I've dealt with people like him all my life.

I don't know that we'll use that hall again though, it's just not big or good
enough for the price he ended up wanting, we'd have to up the event price too
much. I'm also not happy he wasn't there to see how well we'd cleaned the
hall, as they had another group coming in that afternoon (then again, maybe
they stayed away on account of the snow). Pity.

As to cigarettes being a violation of health code in a kitchen... I did final
clean up Sunday morning on the kitchen, which is usually a walk through, but
I wanted to impress the VFW... trust me, smoking in the kitchen would be the
least of any inspection worries. And our guys had been through there once.

Corwyn