SC - Opusculum de Saporibus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 22 05:04:06 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

>         Admantius said:
>         > -- Thorndike, L.: A medieval sauce-book. In: Speculum 9 (1934)
> 183-190.
>         It might be worth noting that this is a more-or-less translation of,
> and
>         commentary on, Mayneri's "Opusculum de Saporibus", which I believe
>         you've got webbed in Latin.
>         Thomas said:
>         This article contains the Latin text, I used for the web version,
> and
>         some short comments. Scully, in his article in 'Medium Aevum', 1985,
>         comments on every passage of this text in respect to humoral theory
> and
>         cooking.
>
> Is the article in 'Medium Aevum' in English?
> Also does anyone know how to get back issues of Speculum or Medium Aevum?
> Or have a xerox-copy of the article they wouldn't mind sending me?
> MTIA,

Speaking of the Speculum article, it is available through the JSTOR
network; you may have access to a library that is subscribed. What
you'll end up with is a printout of a microfilm or microfiche of the
pages of Speculum from that 1934 issue. Indexes are available, which is
a good thing since Speculum has a _lot_ of wonderful articles which have
proven useful, including both the article mentioned above and Hieatt's
and Jones's translated edition of the Two Anglo-Norman XIIIth-Century
Cookbooks. Unfortunately JSTOR is touchy about photocopying; every
printout from them contains what amounts to a software user agreement,
basically to the effect that by printing out the article you agree not
to make copies of it.

AFAIK, articles in 'Medieum Aevum' are in English, although there may be
quoted texts in their original languages as well. Everything I've ever
seen in it has been predominantly in English (including an article by
Contance Hieatt containing a nice fifteenth-century cookbook in what
appears to be a North Country English dialect).

You _should_ be able to find either of these either at, or via, any
large library. Bear in mind also that librarians _enjoy_ looking for
obscure stuff; it's often why they became librarians. Part of the same
phenomenon that made my old butcher grin when I would ask him for 12
dozen glove-boned quail, a chance to flex the muscles a bit.

Happy hunting!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy