SC - Passage East III - Part 1

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 22 19:26:58 PST 2000

"Craig Jones." wrote:

> Ras,
>
> I'd consider this an Occupational Safety hazard.  I check my kitchens carefully
> for:    Electrical Hazards, Gas Hazards, Slippage Areas, etc.  As the Feast
> Steward, I have an obligation to do this.  The same as I have an obligation to
> stop smoking and the consumption of alcohol in the kitchen.
>
> You usually don't see people smoking in the workplace, you certainly wont find
> smokers working in kitchens (at least in OECD countries) of commercial
> restraunts.

I seem to recall the Official Reasons, as per the New York City Board of
Health and the NYC Department of Sanitation (which I only mention
because these are the people who make the rules I often have to live
with), have to do with the safety ramifications of smoke sources
competing for attention (Is it a cigarette or an electrical fire?,
etc.), and the possibility of cross-contamination from mouth to
cigarette to hand to food. The fact that the gentleman under discussion
was not a cook is not all of the issue; the rule exists in this case, to
be followed to the letter, specifically to prevent this sort of thing
from happening. In short, the inconvenience to smokers indulging in a
harmless fashion is of far less importance to the people that made these
rules than solving their own problem, and they were glad to sacrifice
your rights in this matter.

I would be very, very surprised to find that PA does not have similar
health regulations; my Master, Geoffrey d'Ayr de Montalban, is employed
by the PA State Board of Health, and he claims PA has some of the
strictest laws in the country.

Me, I have a sensitive nose and I'd simply rather smell what I'm burning
than what somebody else is burning.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy