SC - Passage East III - Part 1

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 23 00:39:52 PST 2000

> craig.jones at airservices.gov.au writes:
> > ...  I would assume ashes would be sterile, but not
> > very tasty on my cuskynole...
> >
> > Drake.

In addition to the ashes, many foods will pick up the smell of burning
tobacco. I don't think this improves the taste of the food.

> Have you tried ashes in your cuskynoles? :-)
>
> By the way, the drinking and smoking on the job issue is a relatively new
> social phenomenon. 20 years ago the Manhattan lunch was considered apropos if
> not expected. And it is only with the rise in the whine of nonsmokers that
> smoking was banned in the workplace.
>
> Ras

Austin, Texas has a fairly restrictive no-smoking ordinance. It does
not allow smoking in any resturant except for those that are classed
as bars and even then only after certain hours. I'm not sure where the
legal line is drawn between restuarant and bar. I think this ordinance
is *wonderful*. My wife gets nauseous in a room full of cigerette smoke.
This is not conducive to having an enjoyable dinner. This really hits
home when we are visiting somewhere else and have to leave a resturant
or suffer through the smoke.

I have no problem with folks smoking on their own (either tobacco or
other plant substances) where it doesn't affect me. But smoking in a
public place where I am forced to smell noxious tobacco fumes crosses
that line.

I thought the "Manhattan lunch" had to do with alcohol, not smoking?
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net