SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 25 14:20:47 PST 2000

> Do we have any evidence that tomatoes were considered poisonous, and
> if so when and where? I've seen lots of third hand assertions, but I
> don't think I have seen any primary source evidence. What, for
> example, does Gerard's Herbal say?

Dunno, what DOES it say? but we DO have evidence that people such as Pliny
had bad evidence as to whether or not something was poisonous and it
was refuted at at later time such as in the case of Platina's entries on
some of
the herbs.

If they weren't considered poisonous then why the assertion that they took a
long time to come into usage and a statement that they were cooked in
sauces because it was though to reduce the poisons in them?  I merely
stated that it you ate something and it made you sick, you would tend
to think it was poisonous and probably not consider eating it again.

So if people would not eat them because of the plant family the belonged to
where is the evidence that they WEREN'T considered poisonous in period?

Cadoc