SC - non-member submission - Platina

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Nov 25 16:04:13 PST 2000

<< ... There are several versions of the MSS. >>

I am fully aware that there are several manuscripts. From the extant
manuscripts (listed p.61-67), the critical text of the edition is
established in accordance with certain principles of edition. As
usually.

BUT: The LATIN text is the text _established_ from the extant
manuscripts, and this text has then been translated into English. You
said "the english portion is a compilation while the latin isn't and it
can lead to some inconsistencies if you read between the two".

I still cannot see where those inconsistencies should come from, and I
regret, that you did not give me the instances I was asking for: neither
instances of the errors you said you noticed like the original poster,
nor instances of the "inconsistencies".

Please let me explain why I am insisting on these points. M.E. Milham
completed her Apicius-edition in 1968, and then began working on
Platina. Thus, she has been working on this task for around 30 years. If
there _are_ errors remaining, I should like to know where they are. If
there is no "ridiculous number of errors" ("-M") and no inconsistencies
of the kind mentioned, I would find it fair to say so.

TH.