SC - Passage East III - Part 7

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sun Nov 26 10:37:59 PST 2000

At this point in time, someone walked close enough to the bar in the VFW
Post to hear on the tv that sleet was arriving with snow to follow.
Until then, we had been sending out the courses about every 10 minutes,
so people had time to eat and converse in-between.  Her Majesty's head
lady-in-waiting informed us that She was requesting that the rest of the
feast be served en masse so that She could get away before the weather
got worse.  So, the rest of the feast was rushed out as soon as we could
get it plated.

VII	PORCELLO
	{Roast Pork}

Nothing too fancy.  Just took pork loins {2 lbs/table, 34 lbs total},
rubbed them with garlic and pepper, then roasted @ 325 degrees for about
25 minutes per lb.

	BORDO NERO PER PIATTI X
	{Dark Sauce for 10 Platters}

This was the one recipe I did not redact myself.  Master Basilius Phocas
and his apprentices from the Middle Kingdom are translating and
redacting Christoforo Messisbugo's "Libro Novo."  This recipe was in a
handout I received from their class at Pennsic in 1998.  Since I don't
have contact information for Master Basilius, I don't think I should be
reproducing his work without his permission.  I will cheat somewhat and
tell you it is made with red wine, prunes, raisins, bread crumbs, honey
and cloves.  It was a huge hit, but something I couldn't take any credit
for.  If anyone in the Middle can contact Master Basilius and obtain his
permission, I'll post it.  Several people told me they would have turned
up their noses and refused to try it if they had known what was in it
beforehand, but thought it went perfectly with the pork.

	FASOLI
	{Kidney Beans}

CN 41

Cook the kidney beans in pure water or good broth; when they are cooked,
get finely sliced onions and fry them in a pan with good oil and put
these fried onions on top [of the beans] along with pepper, cinnamon and
saffron; let this sit a while on the hot coals; dish it up with good
spices on top.

P VII 14

... Its cold and harmfulness can be reduced to some degree by sprinkling
with marjoram, pepper, and mustard.

Per Table			17 Tables {Scaled Down!}

2 cans kidney beans		26 cans
1 onion, chopped		13 onions
2 tbs oil for frying		1 cup oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon		3 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper			1-1/2 tbs pepper
pinch saffron			several threads
1/2 tsp marjoram		3 tbs marjoram
1/4 tsp ground mustard		1-1/2 tbs mustard

Boil the kidney beans in salted water.  Fry onions in oil.  Drain beans,
add to onions along with 1/8 tsp pepper, cinnamon, and saffron.  Mix
thoroughly to blend.  Dish into bowls, sprinkle with remaining pepper,
marjoram and mustard.

COMMENTS:  Scaled this down, because it's a like-it-or-hate-it dish and
it was coming at the end of the feast alongside the hunks of roast.  So,
I assumed most people would just try a few spoonfuls.  That turned out
to be accurate, so I managed to avoid massive wasteage.

John