SC - Eggplant was Re: SC- Poisonous Tomatoes

Tue Nov 28 10:51:03 PST 2000

Mostly southern Europe where there was contact with the Islam.  Solanum
melongena is native to SE Asia and has been cultivated in India for several
millenia.  The Arabs were apparently introduced to eggplant during the 8th
Century after their invasion of northern India in 712 CE.  They then
proceeded to spread the plant around the Mediterannean.  Since eggplant is
of tropical origin, northern Europe may not have had much to do with it as a
cultivar.

Bear