Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 29 23:09:51 PST 2000

Elysant commented:
> I've actually seen the stuff sold in Fish and Chip Shops in London - billed
> as "Bubble and Chips"

There is a "British" pub here in town, at one time an SCA hangout, that
serves "Bubble and Squeak", Scotch Eggs and other interesting pub foods.

Are there "American" bars in Britain? :-)

>  I think it's called B & S because those are sort of
> the sounds it makes when it's being fried in the frying pan. :-) "Brown
> sauce" (a brown spicy sauce like "HP Sauce") would be good with it.

I had wondered where the name might come from. This makes some sense.
I've never seen that particular sauce, just Lea and Perrins Worcheshire
sauce. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. It's possible my Central
Market grocery has it. I think I've seen British steak sauces there
before. They're the same place that has the lemon curds and the vegamite
which has been talked of here before.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net