SC - flamingo datea/recipe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 29 23:25:26 PST 2000

Nicholas of Falcon Cree asked:
> I thought I would ask you all, and see what turned up.  I have even
> tried searching Stefan's Floregilium and couldn't seem to  find any
> info.

> When were Flamingo's introduced to Europe?

I'm not sure I can answer that one.

> I have seen evidence that they were found in Rome...
>
> "Planet Flamingo. In ancient Rome, Flamingo tongues were considered a
> great delicacy. Their existence was
>           threatened by hunters. The Romans made a law making it illegal
> to hunt flamingos but, it failed. "
>
> But I am not sure how reliable that is due to the fact that I couldn't
> get the site to work.
>
> Stefan is there something at  your site and I just wasn't searching
> right?

Maybe. Well, let's see. As Stefan goes bushwacking through the Florilegium.
Ummm. Nothing in birds-recipes...Here we go. In the FOOD section in this
file:
exotic-meats-msg  (63K)  9/27/00    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice.

I've pasted the two messages I have below.

I really do hope to have a decent search engine built into the site in
the near future.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net