SC - HP type Sauce REC (was Lea & Perrins etc.)

Elysant1 at aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 12:18:06 PST 2000

- --part1_37.d4b96b7.27580ffe_boundary

In a message dated 11/29/00 9:51:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mooncat at in-tch.com writes:

> >              What is meant by this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?
> > I know I'm missing something.
> >
> > Olwen

I'm not sure, but I thought Lea and Perrins and Houses of Parliament were two
different companies....  but I might be wrong there.  HP Sauce comes in a
narrow squared bottle and has a turquoise label on the front which has a
small black and white photo of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament on it -
if people are looking for it, and generally has the letters "HP" boldly
written under the picture.

I was looking at the book "First Catch Your Peacock" by Bobby Freeman and she
has this to say about such sauces as HP, and gives the following recipe.  (No
sources cited by her on this first paragraph though:-( )

"Suryn Cyffaith Poeth   [pronounced Suh-rr-in Cuh-fah-eeth Poh-ee-th]

A rough translation of this would be "hot sour pickle confection", and that
is just what it is - one of the many recipes for this kind of sauce that has
its roots in the very earliest condiment, the liquamen of the Romans, made
from the salted putrefied remains of fish and their entrails, which took the
place of salt in most of their dishes.  The Romans had adopted it from the
Greeks (garum) and used it throughout their western Empire.  British MS
cookery books contain similar recipes, together with a number of catsups or
ketchups of various kinds.  Eventually the preparation of these condiments
was taken over by commercial firms and are with us today under their famous
brand-names.

This particular sauce is remarkably like HP sauce.  The recipe undoubtedly
found its way into Croeso Cymreig [A Welsh Cookbook] from and MS book in a
Welsh Plas [a manor or stately/large home].

6 lemons                             1/4 oz mace
2 oz horseradish                   1/4 oz nutmeg
1 lb salt                               1/4 oz cayenne
6 cloves of garlic                   2 oz mustard
1/4 oz cloves                        2 quarts malt vinegar

Cut the lemons into eighths and cover with salt, cut the horseradish very
finely, then place with the rest of the ingredients in a big jar that has a
lid.  Place the jar in a boiler of water (with the water coming to within 2
inches of the rim of the jar).  Bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes.
Stir the mixture every day for 6 weeks, and keep the lid on.  At the end of 6
weeks, strain into small bottles and cork tightly.  This will keep for years,
and a little will go far.  Serve with veal or Salt Duck."

Elysant

- --part1_37.d4b96b7.27580ffe_boundary