SC - yams

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 04:36:11 PST 2000

Nisha Martin wrote:

>  What i have seen that I am fairly sure are really
> yams as opposed to sweet potatoes which almost always
> seem to be mislabled, espeically around this time of
> year, are a long tuber looking vegetrables. Brown,with
> kind of hairy-looking roots, and it's usually waxed.
> It also has a creamy white center. If you've ever seen
> "oyster root" this looks like it's very big brother.
> I've most often seen them in the military commisaries,
> or ethnic sections of grocery stores with decent
> produce sections. If you buy one, expect the person at
> the counter to look at you funny, ask you what that
> thing is, and give you another look when you tell them
> it is a yam. And they may even ask you how to cook it.
> (I get that at the check out on occasion) I have a
> cookbook, (somewhere) that is called unusual fruits
> and vegetables and what to do with them. So if I see
> something I haven't ever seen before, Ill grab it, and
> take it home and figure out what to do with it. But
> I'm rambling. I hope I answered your question
> correctly, and if I'm mistaken (along with the grocers
> who label these things) then would someone please let
> me know ?

Are we talking about a longish, chocolate-brown skin, waxy-shiny, hairy
root tips, and maybe 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, with a creamy,
sometimes even chalky, white interior? I wonder if we could be talking
about yucca root, which tastes something like white potatoes, but has a
fibrous quality similar to a parsnip...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy