SC - German feast

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Wed Nov 1 15:29:03 PST 2000

At 10:59 PM 10/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Leanna said:
>>  and I've been told we plan for 96 reservations with
>> additional meals for royalty, servers and musicians for a total of 116 to
>> 132 meals altogether. Tables are based on 8 per table. I have already
>> enlisted the help of an experienced co-cook, and have a head server. My
>> menu thoughts so far are:
>
>That seems to be a large number variance to plan for especially since
>they are not paid feasters. The 16 delta is over 10 percent of the
>amount you
>are cooking for.

I heard the autocrat asked the feastocrat to add an additional 25 paid
reservations for feast one week prior to the event.  I'd rather have a bit
too much, than a bit too little.

>> 1. Have pickled vegetables, bread and soft cheese with herbs on the table.
>> 	I have period recipes from the list for pickled mushrooms, and my own
>> pickling recipes for other vegetables.  I would like documented pickling
>> recipes to try, I haven't checked Stefen's file - yet. I'll make or
>> delegate the bread, but I'd like at least a white, a wheat, and a rye. I'll
>> mix cream cheese with a little cream and minced fresh herbs, either singly
>> or blended. I'd like to plan 1/2 lb. of two types of cheese spread for each
>> table. Breads to be refreshed throughout the meal.
>
>It sounds like you may already be aware of the particular file, but just
>in case you aren't it is in the FOOD section:
>pickled-food-msg (118K)  5/23/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
>
>The cooks at the feast at our baronial event this last weekend served
>an herbed cream cheese, that was quite good, in small, disposable tubs
>about two or three inches across. A neat idea as they didn't have to
>come collect the dishes later and they were available through out the
>meal. I had intended to grab the leftovers of this and bring it home,
>but I got a little distracted.
>
>> 3.  Second serving: Bratwurst & Kraut with baked buttered carrots.  I want
>> to make a couple of the mustards I've seen on the list, one fairly spicy,
>> the other more tame.  Perhaps make one 6 to 8 weeks ahead, the other 2 or
>> 3?
>
>I wouldn't depend on the aging to create two different mustard "heats". I
>would make them up both as far ahead as you can and store them but use
>different recipes for each. Since you've been on the list only a few
>period recipes have been discussed. There have been many, many more
>discussed. Most of these can be found in these files in the CONDIMENTS
>section of my Florilegium:
>Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daneil le Vascon du
Navarre
>mustard-msg       (83K)  7/11/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
>
>There also was a message recently that claimed using yellow or brown
>mustard seeds, even in the same recipe, would result in two different
>heats of the mustard.
>
>> 4.  Third serving: Vision of Sauerbrauten with sauce and buttered noodles,
>> need to research a bit, and would change to roast beef with some period
>> sauce.  Also need a veggie to go with.  3 oz cooked meat, 1/2 cup sauce and
>> 1/2 cup vegetable. 1 cup cooked noodles per serving.
>
>Ok, what is "Saurbrauten"? Is there reason to believe it is period?

Sauerbrauten is basically a type of corned beef, roast allowed to marinate
several days, then baked and served with a sauce usually containing ground
up gingersnap cookies.  I personally don't know if it's period or not.
That's why I could sub with plain roast beef with period sauce.

>What time of the year/season are you planning your feast to be from
>(not necessarily when you are cooking your feast)? This might
>impact whether you would be using preserved vegetables such as
>pickled ones or fresh ones. From my reading it looks like they were
>so tired of preserved vegetables that when fresh ones were available
>they would not serve both at the same meal.

I would like the feast to be temporally oriented to the actual time of year
we will be presenting the feast.  The preserved vegetables described by my
co-cook, are similar to the cucumbers in vinegar discussed earlier by the
list.

>> 5. Dessert:  Apple pie or apple strudel with cream or whipped cream
>> topping. 1/8th of a 9 inch pie.
>
>In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
>fruits-msg       (206K)  8/ 4/00    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes.
Recipes.
>fruit-apples-msg  (42K)  1/10/00    Period apples and apple recipes.
>fruit-pies-msg    (32K)  9/ 1/00    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
>
>In FOOD:
>pastries-msg     (105K)  4/ 3/00    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
>   (I can't remember if there are any fruit filled pastries like strudel
>in there or not, though)

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm saving everything mentioned to compile by
the end of December. I will look up info from the Florilegium at work, I
have a faster internet connection from there.  Leanna