SC - German feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Nov 1 17:17:20 PST 2000

At 5:29 PM -0600 11/1/00, Diana L Skaggs wrote:

>Sauerbrauten is basically a type of corned beef, roast allowed to marinate
>several days, then baked and served with a sauce usually containing ground
>up gingersnap cookies.  I personally don't know if it's period or not.
>That's why I could sub with plain roast beef with period sauce.

If you want to substitute a period recipe and don't insist on its
being German, let me recommend Fylettes in Galantine. Like
sauerbraten it is sour, it is very tasty, and it isn't particularly
hard to make. You can find a recipe in the Miscellany; I think the
original is either 14th or 15th c. English.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University