SC - sotelties

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 1 21:13:23 PST 2000

Andrea M. said:
> I have an upcoming project and I was wondering if anyone could point me to
> some soltelty research. I have the Henish work, but it does not quite do
> enough for what I need it for.
> Can anyone help? I especially would love any web-based stuff.

What is this "Henish" work?

Check these files in the Florilegium. These will include information
on both SCA and period sotelties.
In the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section:
sotelties-msg    (199K) 11/ 1/00    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.
  -- I just added a bunch of new stuff to this file tonight and it's not
on the webpage yet, but it should be in a few days. I also split off this
file:
marzipan-msg      (29K) 11/ 1/00    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
  This file has a number of period referances to using and making marzipan.
gilded-food-msg   (22K)  4/19/99    Gilded foods. Using gold and silver foil.
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses
& Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
sugar-paste-msg   (89K)  7/20/99    Making sugar paste sotelties.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

I'm not sure if you are including disguised food/illusion food in your
definition of sotelty or not. If you are, check these files in the
FOOD section:
illusion-fds-msg  (79K)  8/28/98    Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.
Warners-art       (32K)  6/29/98    An article on disguised food.
                                       by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf.

If anyone has any good pictures of sotelties or warners, I'd be interested
in making a section for these on the Florilegium.
- --
HL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net