SC - Barley malt syrup?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 08:49:52 PST 2000

- --- grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> Simple all grain beer production doesn't require
> boiling the wort down into syrup.  While you will
> lose about 1/2 gallon of a 6 gallon boil over an
> hour, that doesn't really get us to the syrup being
> discussed.  The intentional boiling down to that
> consistancy takes way more time and fuel than
> regular mash/boil.

Right.  All grain mashing will not result in a
commercial style malt extract, but it does produce a
sweet extract which is not dissimilar to the malt
syrup mentioned in this thread.  It's still not as
concentrated as the commercial stuff, to be certain,
but it is a "syrup", in essence.  If I am reading the
question correctly, I would have to say that, while
commercial malt syrups may not have been available
during the Middle Ages, a product such as the one
being discussed was certainly used in the brewhouse,
if only coincidentally...

Balthazar of Blackmoor