SC - cheese to begin was desserts

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 14:39:08 PST 2000

>Oh: remember the discussion of blocks of cheese as starters at feasts, put
>out with the bread? Is that a regional custom, or an SCA-tradition? We
>don't do such around here, unless it is soft homemade cheese, and two
>imported senior persons have put it on their feast menus lately, so I'm
>wondering if it is a regional custom imported from elsewhere.

>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

I think it is a general SCA tradition modelled on modern cheese and cracker
trays placed out as appetizers. It's not universal, but it is common.  The
idea seems to be that cheese and bread (and also maybe olives, grapes,
pickles) are a relatively cheap and easy way to make sure that there is
something on the table immediately.  It allows the cook a bit more leeway to
getting the first course ready.   If the kitchen is late, but there are
nibbles, the feasters won't notice for a while.  One of my issues with it is
that often such inexpensive cheeses are used that far too much is sent out
and people will nibble it all away and then far too much actual feast food
is sent back uneaten.  IMO, in case of kitchen issues delaying the first
course, go ahead and send out the ready parts ASAP rather than waste money
and tummy space on something boring and unnecessary.

It's better, I suppose, to present a more correct food than cubes of mild
cheddar, so home made cheese is a plus in that respect.  But I'm not sure if
it improves the point of service issue--isn't the beginning of the feast
still the wrong place, medievally speaking, no matter the sort of cheese?

Bonne