SC - Medieval Kitchen

Gwendolen Lambert marillian at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:58:07 PST 2000

Greetings Unto The List:

Two weeks ago, I had the wonderful opportunity to attend Crown Tourney in
the Kingdom of Drachenwald.  It was held in Central Germany, at Ronneburg
Castle.  Ronneburg Castle was built in the 12th Century, has been restored
although there is quite a lot of original stonework, carvings, etc. that
remain.  It is also an inhabited Castle, museum and restaurant (they have to
make money somehow to keep it running).

To put it mildly, it was incredible!  There is a working medieval kitchen
(yes, I have pictures in case anyone would like to see) in which the
bountiful feast was prepared.  I lost count at how many courses were served.
  What surprised me the most is how small the kitchen area was! However, I
got dizzy looking up at the chimney which seemed to go on for a quarter mile
up. I have been in Castles before, and the kitchens were immense.  This one
however, consisted of a fire pit complete with cauldron, and a small work
station.  Because of the changing weather conditions, the kitchen oftentimes
fills up with smoke, which floats above your head like a cloud.

I had the distinct honour of being the only non-Royal sitting at High Table
and well, I could definitely get used to that! *grin*  Nevertheless, I was
treated with such graciousness by all, even though I don't wear gold,
silver, or brass on my head, nor do I have any titles or initials other than
AoA after my name. (Ok, I admit, I'm a peon compared to many of the esteemed
members on this list).

I will admit, it was nice not to be working in the kitchen on this event and
was able to enjoy the beautiful countryside, the grounds and the impressive
fighting that took place.

Gwendolen