SC - Question on tea

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Nov 3 08:41:44 PST 2000

> >   I am curious if anyone knows where I can find
> >information on herbs that may have been used for tea
> >(medicinal or otherwise)in the northern part of
> >England or Scotland during the 16th century.
>
> I don't think "tea" is the term you want. As I understand it, the
> word originally means the stuff made from tea leaves, and the more
> general sense is a later development. Tea in the strict sense doesn't
> come into England until the 17th century, so any earlier references
> to what we would call "herbal teas" aren't likely to be called "teas."

_The English Physician_ online gives Culpeper's information on how to make
infusions. Culpeper is 17th century but he was claiming to reproduce the
handbook of the English College of Physicians, so he may or may not be a
good source.
http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/culpeper/direct.htm

I have a section on period reference works in my herb book list:
http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~jahb/herbs/herbbooks.html

Nobody that I know of has complied a list of medical teas listed in the
medeival literature, though. Might be a good project.
- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker