SC - Confession is good for the soul

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Nov 6 06:06:38 PST 2000

> How do you intend to make this "non-messy"? Particularly the stuff
> soused with cubeb vinegar? Even roasted chicken by itself, I thought
> could be pretty greasy.

Well, we served it cubed and provided toothpicks so people didn't
have to touch it with their hands. (The roast soused with vinegar actually
absorbs the vinegar, so it isn't runny or anything.)

> Nope, the allspice is a New World plant as as far as I remember was
> not introduced to Europe prior to 1600. There are plenty of other
> nice spices for this without using it. I think there are some
> comments in my spices-msg file on allspice.

Yup. And I simply didn't have enough time to make up my own mulling spice
using only period spices.

> I doubt there was much mulled sweet cider since it turns of alcohol
> or vinegar fairly quickly. I think I mentioned this file earlier, so
> if you've already checked it, my pardon for repeating myself. In the
> BEVERAGES section:
> wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.

*nod*

> It is really quite an elaborate dayboard. Yes, there are a few things
> that could be improved. It's really too late to fret about it. Go
> with what you've got. Best of luck. Please let us know how it goes.

It went well, and people seemed to like it. We ran into a few snags: my
second-in-command, who also knew how to make all the sauces, got sick and
could only be at the site for a short while, which made the sauce-making
on site (green sauce, garlic sauce, cameline and yellow sauce)
complicated.
I shouldn't have doubled or tripled the recipes in most cases-- we had too
much sauce.
I hadn't got enough chicken broth and forgot the bouillon, so we had to
send someone on a chicken broth run.
In the multiplication, the green sauce ended up with too much pepper
in it, which made it sharper than I would have liked though people did eat
it in quantity.
The lemon and olive oil for the turnips, etc. never made it out.
We ended up running 10 minutes late, but that was mostly for the placement
of the food and sauces, so I don't think people minded.
The cookies ended up on a separate table, and I think a bunch of people
missed them (we only had 65 apfeltausen, and they lasted partway into the
afternoon)!
We only got 62 attendees, but since I had food for 100 and don't think (I
haven't done the math yet) that I went over budget ($150), I'm happy.
The only serious problem-- and that was only to me-- was that I broke a
cherished pottery jug. ;)

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker