SC - Meat jellies

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Nov 6 11:48:19 PST 2000

And Phlip said:
> When I make a broth or a stock, I usually make it the day before and
> chill it. Next day, you can just lift out the fat solids, or if you
> want them completely gone, strain them through a sieve or mesh
> strainer.

I was aware of this trick, but wasn't sure if it could be used with meat
jellies.  If the chilled, de-fatted broth is reheated, will it congeal again?

> One thing you might want to keep in mind, though- you may want a
> little fat in your broth- it adds a bit of flavor.
> Phlip

For other applications, I can see that this would be so.  But for jelly, any
fat on top spoils the appearance of the dish.

Thank you both for your counsel.

Brighid

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/