SC - re cheddar

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Nov 6 17:53:09 PST 2000

At 4:33 PM -0800 11/6/00, Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>--- Ian Gourdon <agincort at raex.com> wrote:
>
>>  allow to quote a piece from the list a few whiles
>>  ago:
>>  "...I decided that I would put forth a best effort
>>  come-up with something of
>>  interest, even if it was based upon secondary
>>  sources (like
>>  the internet).
>>  Therefore I present, for your entertainment,
>>  criticism,
>>  amusement and use the
>  > following chart of cheeses:

>I must have missed this post.  I do remember very
>clearly posts from Ras about how the process of
>Cheddaring was not period.
>
>So Cheddar is okay.  But why would Swiss not be okay
>if
>it was first made in 1267AD?

I'm puzzled.

Both you and an earlier poster seem to be writing as if the quote was
serious evidence for what was period. But the original poster made it
clear that it wasn't--that he was simply putting together assertions
by secondary sources, including the internet, not checking whether
they were true or not. Hence "for your entertainment, criticism,
amusement and use."

And in at least one case, we have had evidence (I think from
Adamantius) that what it says isn't true--that while cheese was being
made near Cheddar in period, there is no reason to believe it was
what we call cheddar cheese and some reason to believe it wasn't.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/