SC - re cheddar

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Nov 7 09:47:55 PST 2000

> But even if he weren't, if we have two unreliable sources that
> disagree with each other, that is a reason not to accept either. I
> didn't say that we knew cheddar wasn't period, I said we had evidence
> it wasn't. We also have evidence it is--although I suspect not very
> good evidence.

To cut it even more finely:

We have a statement from someone on the list that the process used to
produce modern cheddar does not appear to be documentably period.

We have a reference from a book on the web, that points to another book
which allegedly claims that 'cheddar' cheese was first mentioned in 1500.
Without going and getting the reference, we cannot know whether the
original author's reference is to cheese produced at Cheddar, or to the
cheddaring process, or something else!

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker