SC - Trenchers Oh my!

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 9 18:54:20 PST 2000

- --part1_16.4b2b210.273cbd5c_boundary

In a message dated 11/9/00 8:22:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> I'm really sorry they turned out so badly.  I would be interested in seeing
> what you produced, so I look forward to seeing them on Saturday. Kiri
>

>From the post I gathered they turned out OK but they tasted terrible. :-)
Tasting terrible is not a bad thing for trenchers since they were not meant
to be eaten (although we do have some mention of them being given to the poor
as alms after they were used). I would suspect that the poor would not think
of them as being particularly bad if they were poor enough. OTOH, bitterness
is a taste that was popular up very recent times so that flavor may have been
considered an attribute instead of a problem.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_16.4b2b210.273cbd5c_boundary

<HTML><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/9/00 8:22:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, <BR>ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I'm really sorry they turned out so badly.  I would be interested in seeing <BR>what you produced, so I look forward to seeing them on Saturday. Kiri
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>From the post I gathered they turned out OK but they tasted terrible. :-) <BR>Tasting terrible is not a bad thing for trenchers since they were not meant <BR>to be eaten (although we do have some mention of them being given to the poor <BR>as alms after they were used). I would suspect that the poor would not think <BR>of them as being particularly bad if they were poor enough. OTOH, bitterness <BR>is a taste that was popular up very recent times so that flavor may have been <BR>considered an attribute instead of a problem.
<BR>
<BR>Ras
<BR>The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_16.4b2b210.273cbd5c_boundary--