SC - passing along recipes

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Fri Nov 10 10:58:17 PST 2000

> I said sure and offered up that if there were interest, I (and
> others) could pass along one or two 'period' recipes for the newsletter.
> Then I got "slapped".  There were folks who started yelling about copyright
> laws.  Well, I suppose there may be some validaty to that, but where is the
> line?  For instance, if I wanted to pass along say "hen in broth" from 1000
> eggs, apparently ~ I can't!

> Olwen the confused

I'm not qualified to address the legal issues, but the first thing I would ask
is whether you are talking about actual period recipes or other people's
redactions of those recipes.  I don't see why you can't reproduce the text
of "henne in broth" from the Forme of Curye.  As for Cindy's modernization of
the recipe or her redaction... you need to ask Cindy how she feels about it.
However, there are many redactions on the web which explicitly say that they
can be reprinted in SCA publications.  Just perusing the archives of this list
will provide you with a lot of potential material.  If you see a likely-looking
recipe, drop an email to the person who did the redaction.  If you have
permission and give credit, I can't imagine that anyone in your local group has
reason to worry.

Brighid

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/