SC - Sauces

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Sat Nov 11 15:50:23 PST 2000

I went to a baronial potluck today.  As a contribution, I brought a
loaf of bread, sliced roast beef, and three sauces.  One was the
Cider Sauce from Granado which I posted recently.  Another was
the horseradish sauce from Nola, and the third was a garlic sauce
from Granado.  They were all well received, though the Cider Sauce
was probably the most popular.

I've posted the translation for the Horseradish sauce before, but
here's the redaction:

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Horseradish-Honey Sauce

Recipe By     : de Nola #157
Serving Size  : 20   Preparation Time :0:05
Categories    : Sauces                           Spanish
                Vegan                            Vegetarian

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      slice         italian bread -- toasted lightly
   4      oz            horseradish -- finely grated
     1/2  cup           honey
     1/4  cup           water
     1/2  teaspoon      black pepper
   3      tablespoons   white wine vinegar

Peel and finely grate the horseradish root.   Place in the container
of a blender or food processor.  Soak the toasted bread in the
vinegar.  Add to the horseradish.  Blend a moment until mixed.
Add the remaining ingredients, adjusting as necessary for taste.
Add just enough water to make a smooth sauce that is not too thin.

CAUTION: avoid breathing in the fumes from the sauce.

Just before serving, heat the sauce on low heat until warm.  Do not
boil.

For a hotter sauce, wait 3 minutes before adding the bread and
vinegar to the horseradish.  For a less fiery sauce, add the vinegar
promptly after grating the horseradish.

If fresh horseradish root is unavailable, take a 6-oz jar of prepared
horseradish.  Empty the contents into a mesh sieve, and press
lightly with a spoon to drain off the excess liquid.  Reduce added
vinegar to 1 tablespoon.  Proceed as above.  However, this method
produces a much milder sauce.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The garlic sauce from Granado was milder than I expected, even
though I used 2 large cloves of garlic.  Next time I think I will
increase the garlic to 3 or 4 cloves.

The recipe is:

PARA HAZER AJADA CON NUEZES TIERNAS, Y ALMENDRAS
To Make Garlic Sauce with Tender Walnuts and Almonds

Take six ounces of tender peeled walnuts, and four [ounces] of
fresh sweet almonds, and six cloves of boiled garlic, or one and a
half raw, and grind them in the morter, with four ounces of a
crustless piece of bread soaked in broth of mutton, or of fish which
is not very salty, and once they are ground put in a quarter [ounce]
of ground ginger.  If the sauce is well ground, it is not necessary to
strain it, but just thin it with one of the abovementioned broths, and
if the walnuts were dried, let them be soaked in cold water, until
they soften again, and can be cleaned.  With the abovementioned
sauce, you can grind a little bit of turnip, or of crisp-leaved cabbage
well-cooked in good meat broth, if it is a day for it.

Redaction:

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                  Garlic Sauce with Walnuts and Almonds

Recipe By     : Diego Granado
Serving Size  : 24   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Sauces                           Spanish

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   6      ounces        walnuts
   4      ounces        almonds, blanched
   4      ounces        bread -- crusts removed
     1/4  ounce         ground ginger
   1 1/2  cloves        garlic cloves
   1-2      cups         lamb broth

Soak the nuts in cold water overnight, or at least several hours.
Drain, and grind finely in a food processor.  Add the bread soaked
in broth, ginger and garlic.  Blend until smooth.  If necessary, add
more broth and/or water to adjust the consistency of the sauce.
Makes about 3 cups.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann