SC - Lemonade in Sent Sovi??

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Nov 13 05:09:59 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 13 Nov 00, , that Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> harper at idt.net wrote:
> >
> > And it came to pass on 12 Nov 00, , that Eden Rain wrote:
> >
> > > While doing some web surfing I came across the following webpage which
> > > claims all it's recipes are from Sent Sovi (14th c. Catalan cookbook)
> > > http://www.sofisstitches.com/recipies.htm
>
> > The website owner is a garb merchant, who says her gowns are
> > painstakingly researched from period paintings, and are never
> > made from man-made fibers.  I'm inclined to think that she cares
> > about authenticity, but was misled by a bad secondary source.
>
> At the risk of being feline,

That's okay.  I have a recipe for feline.  :-)

> from what I have seen on the website, there
> are serious problems with (at the least) the sources for the garments
> also. But then we all have different ideals and ideas of what
> constitutes 'painstakingly researched'.
>
> 'Lainie

I wouldn't know if the gowns were based on Botticelli or "Kiss Me,
Kate".  But I think the lady believes that she has posted authentic
medieval Spanish recipes.  Also, I suspect that some of the
Spanish-to-English translation may have been done with translation
software.  The syntax is odd in quite a few places, and some of the
word choices are more literal than is appropriate.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net