SC - Copyright from the Copyright Lawyer

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 07:21:19 PST 2000

- --part1_bf.8a0a974.274160ef_boundary

That is why I like lawyers. Each seems to have their individual
interpretations of the law. I would suspect that depending on the clients
needs the interpretation would take a different slant. In the example I used,
for instance, I was marketing a spice mixture and was looking to include
sample recipes from a series of Llewellyn 's publications in the packaging
for use of the purchaser with the spice mixtures. I sought author permission
and was instead given publisher's permission.

As noted in the informative post from our lawyer friend, different uses are
subject to different interpretations. If you are writing a cookery book and
want to use recipes that may be questionable, simply rephrase the
instructions and change liquid measure to ounces or vice versa, the word
chicken to capon or whatever, maintain your own specific format such as
'Black pepper, ground' for pepper, or 'Beef broth' to 'Good Beef stock,' etc.
'A pinch of pepper' becomes 1/8 tsp. Black pepper, ground.' 1 cp. Beef broth'
would become '8 oz. Good beef stock.' '1 lg. Carrot' becomes 1/2 cp. Carrots,
sliced.' In a nut shell, change the format of the recipe without changing the
formula or jeopardizing the process.

Ideally, an author should be given credit. I have no disagreement there.
However, a glance at my many collections of recipes published by others seems
to not mention sources very often. I find that rather curious.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_bf.8a0a974.274160ef_boundary

<HTML><FONT  SIZE=2>That is why I like lawyers. Each seems to have their individual <BR>interpretations of the law. I would suspect that depending on the clients <BR>needs the interpretation would take a different slant. In the example I used, <BR>for instance, I was marketing a spice mixture and was looking to include <BR>sample recipes from a series of Llewellyn 's publications in the packaging <BR>for use of the purchaser with the spice mixtures. I sought author permission <BR>and was instead given publisher's permission.
<BR>
<BR>As noted in the informative post from our lawyer friend, different uses are <BR>subject to different interpretations. If you are writing a cookery book and <BR>want to use recipes that may be questionable, simply rephrase the <BR>instructions and change liquid measure to ounces or vice versa, the word <BR>chicken to capon or whatever, maintain your own specific format such as <BR>'Black pepper, ground' for pepper, or 'Beef broth' to 'Good Beef stock,' etc. <BR>'A pinch of pepper' becomes 1/8 tsp. Black pepper, ground.' 1 cp. Beef broth' <BR>would become '8 oz. Good beef stock.' '1 lg. Carrot' becomes 1/2 cp. Carrots, <BR>sliced.' In a nut shell, change the format of the recipe without changing the <BR>formula or jeopardizing the process.
<BR>
<BR>Ideally, an author should be given credit. I have no disagreement there. <BR>However, a glance at my many collections of recipes published by others seems <BR>to not mention sources very often. I find that rather curious.
<BR>
<BR>Ras
<BR>The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_bf.8a0a974.274160ef_boundary--