SC - Pheasant

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 10:41:17 PST 2000

Hi Phlip,

Thanks for your response. :)

In a message dated Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:08:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"Philippa Alderton" <phlip at morganco.net> writes:

>Pheasant is a very dry bird- as a general rule, using >a wet-heat method of
>cooking is best. Avoid applying either alcohol or salt >while cooking- both
>will dry it out, making it rather chewy, at best ;-)
<snip

>If you want to roast it, you need to either lard it or >bard it, meaning, lay
>bacon or fatback strips across the breast while >roasting, or take strips of
>fat and lace it through the flesh- about 45 minutes >will do this at 350
>degrees.

This is what I think I would like to do. I am considering trying this for
Thanksgiving dinner. Im glad you mentioned laying bacon on it to help keep it
moist.

>I'm assuming here, that you have an adult male bird- >the females are a bit
>smaller, and would take a shorter cooking time. One >bird will make two
>servings for most people, but when I get my hands on >one, it seems to make
>one small serving ;-)

I think I have an adult male bird. It is farm raised, but it isnt much
smaller (if at all smaller) than a chicken. I got it at Whole Earth Foods.
Its much larger than what I remember my father bringing home when he went
hunting, but I was only about 6 or so, and that memory is subject to
question. :)

Thank you so much for the recipes! I will definately give them a try, they
sound really yummy!

Ilia