SC - Manual 4-6 - some wild guesses

Serian serian at uswest.net
Mon Nov 13 16:25:23 PST 2000

Dana Huffman wrote:

> >... 1/4 of "borras" which the only definition I found is
> >thick wool, and I'm wondering if it's borax??? ...
>
> For borra, Harrap's suggests fluff first, then gives
> sediment or dregs for the plural.  So perhaps this might be
> some more of those wine dregs that keep showing up?

Hmmm, well, doubt if it would be fluff and no other recipes
of this kind that I have SO FAR encountered (still have a
lot to go) contain wine dregs, but it's possible.

> >..."Pastarlas" is graze but it might mean make paste with
> >the soap...
>
> That's the assumption I've been making, although with no
> actual reason other than that it sounds right.

That makes sense to me because when you make a paste, you
only add enough liquid to get the right consistency. You
don't want it too liquid.

> >... And put in each little container a drop of "ros de
> >bota" which all I got had to do with helmets and boots and
> >didn't make sense.  Any guesses?
>
> My first thought was that "bota" sounds rather like "boda"
> so perhaps this was a particular type of rose (or rose-like
> flower?) commonly associated with weddings, if there was/is

Well, most of the roses seem to end with the -a and are
followed with a descriptive word.

> >6.  Algalia finísima
> >... galia moscada...
> >... nutmeg oil...
>
> I think "galia moscada" may be civet musk;

Well, almizcle is musk.  Galia does sound and spell like
algalia without the al.  Almizcle comes up a number of
times, as does algalia.  I haven't checked the whole manual
yet, but so far I haven't seen galia-anything, so I'm not
sure.

thanks for the guesses.  Wild or otherwise.
Serian