SC - Trenchers Oh my!/Edgar Cayce

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 14 21:30:18 PST 2000

Ras declared:
> I am horrified that the supposed academic community still refers to
> medieval food as highly spiced and consisting of rotten meat when they should
> know better by now.

That's a pretty broad paintbrush you are using, Ras. That is not what
I've seen in my little bit of reading on medieval food from the
academic community. I'd say the ones I've seen those comments from
don't tend to be those with a lot of standing in the academic coummunity.

Who are the experts in the academic community that you have seen these
comments from? Were they recgnised experts in medieval food or just
recognised experts in the academic community as a whole? Just as there
are SCA Peers who are willing to pontificate outside their area of
expertise, I imagine there are such folks within the academic
community as well. I don't think it is fair to lambast the whole
group of them because of the problems with some individuals.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net