SC - Feast Report

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 19 16:18:17 PST 2000

Adamantius asked me:
>Glad you had a good time, though. So when are you going to cook a period
>feast for this group?

And here i thought everyone was tired of me bombarding the list with questions.

My first feast as head cook will be the Beaconsgate Boar Hunt on
Sunday December 10th. I posted the tentative menu to the list
recently as "SC - Tentative Boar Hunt Menu". The food is mostly
Medieval "English", with a few exceptions - a couple Elizabethan
English and some of those sauces (see below).

The hot spiced cider isn't exactly period, and i may do the peri-oid
faux hippocras a couple listees suggested, see thread titled: "SC -
false hippocras was Tentative Boar Hunt Menu".

The sausages in the first course won't be from a "period" recipe, as
i don't have the equipment, time, or experience to make sausages for
100 people - although at least sausages are period and i won't get
any of the nouveau types. Any recommendations which kinds available
today are "more Medieval"?

I'm still trying to decide:

1) which sauces to make for the roast pork (which will be served with
turnips in mustard sauce), see thread titled:  "SC - Sauces". Given
the tasty suggestions from several listees, especially Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa and Lady Brighid ni Chiarain, i may make two or three,
depending on how much kitchen help i have, since several recipes take
ingredients i will have.

2) and what to have for a third dessert. I'm serving rice with the
first course and a Lombard custard in the second course. So far the
dessert course has a period pear tart (whole pears in a crust) and
the Boar's Head sotiltie - generally period ginger bread with colored
marzipan coating - which someone else will make.

If i manage to bring this off without too many problems, i may
consider bidding on a feast next year at which i can serve Near
Eastern or Mediterranean foods, which i personally prefer.

Anahita al-shazhiyya