SC - headcheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 19 17:27:08 PST 2000

Ras commented:
> My grandmother always added 6 extra ears and 6 eztra noses
> to the headcheese recipe. She always made headcheese which in our area is the
> same as souse except it has no vinegar in it.

I'm not exactly sure what "headcheese" is, although I've heard the term
before. I assume the term goes back to period. Do we have any period
recipes for this? Any idea why it is called "cheese" although I seem to
remember it doesn't have any cheese in it? For years I thought it must
be an animal head stuffed with cheese. :-)

- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net