SC - RE: Feast Report

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Nov 20 08:26:27 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 20 Nov 00, , that Hupman, Laurie wrote:

> I won the Silver Spoon competition (principality-level cooking
> award) with my version of Lady Brighid's peach pits.

Vivat!

> My redaction didn't come out quite
> the same as hers -- I ended up with a 1:1 almond to sugar ratio, about the
> same amount of cinnamon and a smaller amount of saunders.

And my redaction is not quite the same as the original recipe -- I
just can't get so high a proportion of sugar to work.

> I made the peach
> pit molds out of Sculpey.  The best part, as far as I was concerned, was
> watching people _look_ at the peach pits before eating them.  "They look
> like peach pits!"  "Duh," says I, "if they looked like white wall tires, it
> wouldn't work!"

It is constantly a surprise to me how well they fool people.  Having
made them, and having seen them next to real peach pits, I can't
help but see the subtle differences.  I can't suspend my disbelief,
because I know what they really are.

> By the end of the day, though, I think some people were
> convinced I had carved each pit by hand.  A lot of people simply couldn't
> believe they had been molded.

Huh?  Molding is a lot easier.  Perhaps there are talented cooks
who could carve them convincingly; if I attempted to do so, they
probably *would* ressemble white-wall tires.

> I should have displayed the molds along with the candies.

I though about doing so when I put them on display, but decided
against it, since it was of a non-period material.  Maybe when I
finally have my earthenware molds...

> The feast was a disappointment.
[snip]
> However, I will confess that by the end of this feast, I had assembled a
> crack commando squad to take over the Spring Investiture feast next May.

> Rose

I am sure that it will be a feast to remember.  Have you decided on
any details yet?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann