SC - feast done

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 20 13:44:41 PST 2000

I did my Platina feast on Saturday.  It was very well received.

I ended up making my own substitution for verjuice.  The verjuice was for
on top of the chickens.  There was one Lady from our group who is allergic
to red wine so I did not use red wine at all in any dish, I substituted
white wine.  So I made the verjuice the following way.  I used 5 lbs of
grapes (white seedless so I wouldn't have to send them thru something to
get the grape pits out.) I taste tested the grapes at the store and tried
to find bunches that were sour.   I mashed the grapes by hand, I couldn't
find a potato masher in the kitchen and I forgot mine.  Then I added two
cans of welch's white grape juice, and two or three cans of water.  Then I
added wine vinegar until it was sour.   The next time I will mail order the
verjuice or find a store locally.

I also made the armored turnips with mozzarella cheese and provolone.  I
will give my experience with that later on.  I peeled and cut the turnips
and then boiled them  for half the time and then drained them and boiled
them in a new kettle of water.  I had a wonderful person assisting me with
that recipe.  I gave her the instructions for boiling and she while she was
putting the pot with the turnips to boil she put on a separate pot of water
to boil so there was no time lost, without me even telling her to do that!
She was a magnificent helper!

I didn't do the decorating the hall thing.  I decided after realizing about
the allergies and such that I could've assumed it was fall, since it is
still fall and hung apples and pears and grapes from the ceilings, but the
hall ceilings are way to high and since we fight then feast in the same
hall that would've been difficult, then I thought well I could put baskets
on the tables, but try finding ripe fruit that has smell a week before an
event!  So I gave up on that idea.  Next time!

I will try and post a menu in the next few days.

      Angeline