SC - OOP pie crust question

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 00:03:41 PST 2000

>Contemplating Thanksgiving pies and was wondering if someone has an
>explanation for why several of the modern piecrust recipes I've
>accumulated call for small amounts of vinegar (one says vinegar or lemon
>juice).  I have two versions of this, and I think the other unusual thing
>they both call for is an egg, so maybe that has something to do with it???
>Chimene

Never heard of that.  Tonight while I was making up my pastry dough, younger
daughter said with all the authority of Julia child that I should add a
pinch of baking powder as it would make the crust more tender.  Has anyone
ever heard of that?

Bonne
(this is the daughter, Madeleine, who is getting madeline tins for her
birthday next week.)