SC - Pig slaughtering-OOP

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 25 07:45:13 PST 2000

Adamantius sez:

> Hmmm. It's a tough call. My own experience has been that people will eat
> foods that _contain_ meat or fish-flavored gelatin, if they can convince
> themselves that the dish itself does not actually _consist_ of meat or
> fish gelatin. So, the jelly-glazed brawn with mustard is okay, but a
> tournesole blue jelly quivering up at you on the plate tends, around
> here, to get something of a lukewarm reception. On the other hand,
> gelatin being basically pure protein, it can be pretty rich when
> concentrated enough to be firm; even for people who like the stuff, how
> much can you eat? I don't think it's necessarily a comment on either the
> quality of the dish or the sophistication (or lack thereof) of the
> diners' tastes. It's just that a little goes a long way.

Yeah, it's not something normally served and it falls into the "strange
food"
category, so most people will just taste, not eat it.
________________________
And Adamantius sez some more:

> You  might try it as an integral part of another dish, like, say, the
> jellied brawn mentioned above. In late period this would have been made
> from a boned-out whole small pig. For SCA feast purposes, this would be
> something like a boneless piece of fresh ham with some skin on it,
> brined, rinsed and boiled like corned spareribs, then pressed into a
> mold, skin side down, and covered with the reduced cooking stock. You
> can then chill it all, and you have the option of removing it from the
> mold and coating it with more gelatin layers. It is served cold, in
> slices. Then you can tease the diners and suggest that if they don't
> want to eat it, it's probably that they're too wimpy to try the mustard
> you made for it.

I was reading through the jelled foods from platina, and I like the looks of
the fish gelatin that used the whole pike to make the gelatin.  Pike's not a
bad fish and it's not a strange tasting fish, I might try that myself, but
it's
not feast food in my book because it'll almost all come back, but it IS
water soluble, but why waste the pike?

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation
Currently exiled in Blak Rose, the shire that couldn't

I felt the ire rise up in me
Kneel down and clear the stone of leaves
I wander out where you can't see
Inside my shell I wait and bleed

         "Wait and Bleed" -- Slipknot