SC - Lobster Races-OP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 25 17:00:20 PST 2000

> We buy them there, there are several places with lobster tanks, including
> the SuperWalMarts.  Go figure.
> Christianna
>
> > Hmmm,....Maire (who's always wanted to go to Pennsic and hasn't made
> > it yet, and who's birthday is Aug. 10th) now tries to figure out how to
> > keep a lobster alive on a 4-day car trip all the way from
> > Montana--which is better than imagining explaining the odd critter in
> carry-on
> > luggage to the Nice People at the airports....<g>)

Maire, you were probably joking about bringing a lobster from Montana,
but in case you weren't, I would recommend doing it differently. As
Christianna mentions, the lobsters are available local to Pennsic and
even then they won't be as good as those you could get right out of the
sea in Boston, say.

However, I'm sure Montana has some items there that are not easily
available elsewhere. We've had a number of "my region is better than
your region" discussions. I hope they were all in fun. I would recommend
investigating what would be good locally to bring. I'm sure you could
probably work a trade or cash deal for what you bring.

For instance, this last year I brought several pounds of chorizo
sausage from south Texas. And I was able to bring them by airplane by
freezing them first.

Can you get venison or elk or something like that in your area? The
only place I've had it was in the SCA. Baron Akim, who managed to
finangle a good deal on quinces with his local grocer, brought a
large jar of wonderful quince paste. Margali brought me some Splenda
artificial sweetener, which I can't get down here.

I managed to find a ride to Pennsic 21, 23 and 25. Notice that is not
very consistant. Thanks to the kind folks on this list, who were
willing to pick me up in Pittsburg and make other accommodations, I've
been able to fly in for Pennsic 27, 28 and 29. Part of the solution
was shipping up another box of stuff and using the scrawny airline
baggage allowance to the utmost. If you wish to get more details feel
free to email me.

This did mean walking through the Austin airport, where the outside
temperature was over 100 degrees, carrying a heavy, wool cloak. I
haven't tried to go through security with a chainmail hauberk, yet. :-)
Empty my pockets, you say?

We'd love to have you be able to join us for Pennsic.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net