SC - smoking-OOP-OT

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Nov 27 08:25:34 PST 2000

> Cigarette Tobacco is not (yet) an illegal substance,
> and so any prohibition on its use, for any reason, is
> tantamount to an infringement on personal rights and
> freedoms.  Yeah, it may not be the most heavenly odor
> to inhale, but I'd prefer it to farting or spitting
> all over the place.

Farting, while noxious, is not only involuntary but
does not cause severe allergic reactions. I've seen too
many of my friends suffering from asthma attacks
and struggling to breathe because of cigarette smoke
to defend other people's rights to cause that reaction.

Prohibiting the use of a substance under certain
circumstances is sometimes necessary to protect other
people's health-- as when consumption of alcohol to
excess is forbidden while driving.
- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker