SC - Deep-fried Turkey? OOP

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 08:24:22 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/27/2000 10:31:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tsersen at nni.com writes:

> Is a huge stock pot and 30 gallons of oil cheaper than a roasting pan?  I
can't
> imagine wanting to maneuver a 25 pound bird into and out of a tall pot full
of deadly-
> hot oil sitting way up on the stove.

It is generally done out doors as you would with grilling. Most hardware
stores are now selling "turkey cookers" for less than $100. The pot is tall
and narrow and uses only about 3-5 gallons of oil since the turkey displaces
enough of the oil to raise the level to cover the bird. I read an excellent
article about deep-frying turkeys in - of all places - the Honolulu
Advertiser. To determine how much oil you need, they suggested you place the
turkey in the pot and cover it with measured amounts of water til the depth
was right, then use the equivalent amount of oil. Again in most cases, it was
3-5 gallons.  The article also gave a time table which I have forgotten but
it was mere minutes per pound as opposed to oven-roasting for somewhere along
the order of 20 mins per pound.

Personally, I just don't want to think about that much oil cooling on my
deck, but by most reports cooking the turkey that way makes it very tasty and
extremely moist.

Ilaria