SC - Has anyone every canned persimmons?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 11:39:39 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Hi, All!
>
> A friend of mine just gave me a whole bunch of
> persimmons in various states of ripeness.  I would
> love to can them, but all my canning books don't talk
> about canning them, just making jam or jelly out of
> them, which is not what I want.  Could anyone send me
> instructions on how to can them?
>

>From  THE BEST OF THE OPEN LINE BULLETIN
<http://www.n-connect.net/lynxy/bulletsepoct1979.html#3>

"CANNING PERSIMMONS

Select ripe persimmons. Wash well and dip in boiling water for several minutes
or
until skins crack. Remove skin and bring to a boil in syrup.

Syrup:

1 cup sugar
3 cups water

Pack in hot clean jars. Adjust lids. Process 10 minutes at 5 pounds pressure."

Selene again... UC Davis has other
ideas:<http://ceplacer.ucdavis.edu/nutrition/reasons4seasons/fruits/persimmon.htm>

"Canning: Persimmons do not can well. They give a rather unpalatable product and

     turn puckery when heated."

Maybe jam is a better idea after all.  Or maybe you can bake persimmon cakes and
give them out as holiday gifts.  I know I'm baking most people's gifts this
year, our budget is in baaaad shape.

Selene