SC - Deep-fried Turkey? OOP

Orlaith orlaith at usa.net
Mon Nov 27 13:48:53 PST 2000

Much to my regret we had deep fried turkey this year.  My uncle's girlfriend
decided to do it to give my mom a break (she always does the turkey at
Thanksgiving and Christmas).  I appreciated the thought but wish we could have
done it some other way.  Not only was the turkey different but she did not use
our time tested stuffing recipe (the one handed down from my Grandmother).
The stuffing came out so dry and the cook ended up throwing the leftovers
away.

The only recipes that Elaine had seen for the turkey involved cayanne (sp?)
pepper and lots of salt.  Since I was raised in a house with very little spice
the turkey came out WAY to spicy for my taste (minded the half a salt mine
used more than the pepper actually but hated the pepper).  The wind interfered
with the flame on the burner so it ended up taking more than 1 1/2 hours to
cook the bird to the right temp, which killed the drumsticks and wings.  The
turkey was black a 1/4 inch below the skin.

While we are willing to try the deep-frying thing again we are going to try
either orange juice or chicken broth for the injection and a smaller bird
(everything we read said use a 12 lb bird and we did a 20 lb.  However I just
ask that we do it as a non-holiday dinner.  I don't mind trying a different
side dish on occasion but fooling with both the turkey and the stuffing on
Thanksgiving left me planning on cooking a turkey breast in the next couple of
weeks.

Orlaith of Storvik

Cats humor us because they know their ancestors ate ours.