Medlars (wasRe: SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Nov 27 18:06:30 PST 2000

At 7:06 PM -0600 11/27/00, Michael Newton wrote:
> [...]

My point was that there are lots of reasons why a paticular food
isn't used in a particular culture other than the belief that it is
poisonous.

So far as medlars are concerned, they are available in markets in
Europe. And they could be sold here before they were bletted and kept
by the buyer until they were bletted--or transported before, held by
the store, and sold after. Persimmons are probably a closer
equivalent than tomatoes--and are commonly sold, at least around
here. As you probably know, they are very fragile when ripe and very
astringent when unripe.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law